Saturday 27 December 2008

Saturday Selection: Matt Rees and Andrea Camilleri

Two books to look out for in the New Year feature the detectives created by Matt Rees and Andrea Camilleri, that is, Omar Yussef and Inspector Montalbano respectively.

Rees has made quite an impression with his first two books featuring Yussef and The Samaritan’s Secret is set in Nablus on the West Bank, all too familiar to us as a name from countless melancholy news bulletins. The case involves the death of a young Samaritan, and the book is published by Atlantic Books on 23 January.

On the same day, Picador bring out The Paper Moon in paperback. The translation is by the award-winning Stephen Sartarelli. Montalbano investigates the murder of a man shot at point-blank range in the face while his pants are down – very unsporting. According to the press release, the case also involves ‘two evasive, beautiful women as prime suspects, dirty cocaine, dead politicians, mysterious computer codes, and a series of threatening letters.’ Camilleri’s series has attracted a large following and I particularly look forward to this one.

4 comments:

Uriah Robinson said...

I think The Paper Moon is a paperback reissue by Picador to accompany the new hardback August Heat. I read Paper Moon in paperback last June, and reviewed it for Euro Crime.

Did you see your Dancing for the Hangman has been chosen as one of January magazines best crime fiction books of the year? Well done.

Martin Edwards said...

Hi Uriah, thank you for clarifying this. And many thanks for the tip about January magazine, which I hadn't yet seen, and which has left me really rather chuffed. By the way, I've added Crime Scraps to the blogroll.

Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Martin, I have added Do You Write Under Your Own Name? to my blogroll. The only reason it wasn't there earlier was my fear that every time I touch the template I will lose everything!

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin- thought you might be interested in a piece on the Picador blog from Stephen Sartarelli, on the subject of translating Camilleri's Montalbano books: http://bit.ly/wIe1E