Sunday 14 June 2009

Crippen to be cleared? and other news


I’ve been intrigued by recent news reports suggestion that Dr Crippen’s name may finally be ‘cleared’ almost a century after his execution for the murder of his wife. Here’s a link to one of the articles:

Crippen Cleared?

The quality of Crippen’s legal representation during the course of his trial is one of the key elements of Dancing for the Hangman. I’m intrigued to see that Mr Di Stefano, now engaged in this matter, numbers Saddam Hussein among his former clients.

How far this particular campaign to exonerate Crippen will get, who knows? I suspect that issues about the validity of the ‘DNA evidence’ said to prove his innocence may be more complex than the news reports suggest.

Changing the subject, I was really pleased to hear from my German publisher this week that Kein Einsames Grab (aka The Arsenic Labyrinth) is being reprinted already. A German mate emailed me the other day to say that all three of the Lake District Mysteries are prominently featured in bookshops he’s visited lately, and for any mid-list writer, this has to be morale-boosting news.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations on the reprint! That's exciting news...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. It's definitely lifted my morale!

Sunnie Gill said...

Congrats on the re-print.
Boy that article makes for intresting reading. I hope you can keep us updated on what happens on that one.