Saturday 31 October 2009

Back to the Lakes











It seemed like a good idea to take a couple of days off work, for a combined research trip plus pick-me-up. The Lake District really is a wonderful place in which to unwind (as well as a perfect setting for murder mysteries!), and although my trip was all too brief, I felt much the better for it.

We stayed in Keswick, a small town full of charm and character which has not yet featured in the Lake District Mysteries – but soon will! Its setting is magnificent. The bulk of Blencathra isn’t far away, while Derwentwater is a stroll away from the market square.

I’m a great fan of boat trips, and since the weather was good, it was an ideal time for me to have my first sail on Derwentwater, in the launch that travels around the lake, making brief stops at various jetties. It really was quite an idyllic experience, and after the gloom of missing out on the Dagger Awards and a gig in Harrogate last week, it cheered me up no end.

9 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Picturesque tranquility. I can see why it cheered you up.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos, Martin!! Now I'm looking forward even more to your next Lake District mystery : ).

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Beautiful pictures. Although the one with the choppy water made me a little seasick. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

BooksPlease said...

I love the Lake District! We drove through Keswick this summer on our way back from Scotland and wished we could live there!

Derwentwater looks a bit rough in your photo - I'm not too good in boats!

Glad you're on the mend.

R/T said...

I am envious. I can almost imagine (as William Wordsworth imagined when he "wandered lonely as a cloud") the endless display of dancing daffodils, continuous as the stars, tossing their heads along the shore of a lake. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dorte H said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. I think the one with the ripples is gorgeous, but I share Elizabeth´s feelings (I can enjoy it as long as I am not in it).

Minnie said...

Ravishing scenery in the Lakes, glad you're well enough to make the most of it. Great pix, also. Plentiful inspiration for you, your readers fondly hope!

Minnie said...

My favourite town in the Lake District; lovely to 'see' it again + hear it retains its thriving, bustling-but-relaxed atmosphere. Love the place + surroundings. Great post, Martin - will now be avidly location/impression spotting when reading further offerings from your Lakes Series!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks for these comments. Glad you liked the photos. It was a lovely day, considering the time of year.