Saturday 27 March 2010

Christine Poulson


The Crime Writers’ Association has announced that Christine Poulson is to succeed Rebecca Tope as its membership secretary – so, if you are a published crime writer, in the UK (or overseas – there are many members from different parts of the world), and you would like to join this very friendly and worthwhile organisation Chrissie is the person to contact.

I got to know Chrissie quite a few years ago as a fellow member of the Northern Chapter of the CWA. Born in Yorkshire and now living in Derbyshire, she is an academic who wears her considerable learning lightly. She has, among other things, published a book on Arthurian legend in British Art.

She and I shared a platform last August, giving successive papers at the very convivial St Hilda’s College Crime Fiction week-end, and her contribution was really fascinating. It was intriguing that we’d picked some similar examples from the genre to make our points on the theme of the conference.

In addition to her other accomplishments, Christine Poulson is also a talented author, and she deserves to be better known. I had the pleasure of including her enjoyable story ‘The Lammergeier Vulture’ in a CWA anthology, Crime on the Move, that I edited a while back. When it comes to novels, she has enjoyed success with a series featuring a Cambridge academic, Cassandra James. I have on my over-loaded bookshelves two of the books in the series, and I’m looking forward very much to reading them. There is a link to Chrissie’s blog on the blogroll, and I can recommend it. Her posts are always thoughtful and full of interest.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - Thanks for this announcement; I appreciate it, and the information on her blog. I'll have to check it out.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Thank you for the update, I will check out her blog.

ann

lyn said...

Thank you for pointing me towards Christine's blog, Martin. I've just had a lovely time working backwards through posts. I enjoyed her Cassandra James books very much, I love academic mysteries & I hope she writes another one soon.

Fiona said...

Thanks for reminding me of Cassandra James! I remember reading one with great enjoyment a couple of years ago and will go and look for some more :)

BooksPlease said...

Thanks for the link to Christine's blog. I read her short story 'The Lammergeier Vulture’ just the other day and thought it was excellent.

Jilly said...

I too have enjoyed Christine Poulson's Cassandra James books so this is good news.

Martin Edwards said...

I'm encouraged to see this level of interest in Christine Poulson's books, and I hope some of the writers who read this blog will soon be applying to her to join the CWA!
Lyn, I think there is another book out soon.