Sunday 7 March 2010

The Lives of Others


I don’t watch too many German language films with sub-titles, even though there was a long ago time when I was very keen on studying German. Undoubtedly, though, The Lives of Others, which won the Academy Award for best foreign language film is the best German movie I’ve ever seen.

The film is written by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and stars Ulrich Muhe, Martine Gedeck and Sebastian Koch. The setting is East Germany in the 1980s, a time of severe state repression. A writer called Dreyman is having a relationship with an actress, Christa-Marie Sieland. A secret service man from the dreaded Stasi, Wiesler, is told by a superior to head a surveillance operation focused on Dreyman’s flat. The reason is that a minister is besotted with Christa-Marie and wants to find evidence of treachery on the part of his rival, Dreyman.

As Wiesler conducts the operation, he becomes fascinated by Dreyman and Christa-Marie, and his unquestioning obedience to the totalitarian regime begins to falter. He tries to warn Christa-Marie, but she finds herself trapped, and a series of cheerless events lead to tragedy. The ending of the film is, however, unexpectedly uplifting.

The Conversation, starring Gene Hackman, has long been my favourite film about surveillance, but this one runs it close. Muhe’s nuanced performance is excellent, and the claustrophobic feeling of a state-controlled society is conveyed with great power. One would like to think nothing similar could ever happen in Britain, but our surveillance society is developing apace, so who knows? This is a truly thought-provoking film, and it deserves the acclaim it has received.

8 comments:

lyn said...

I loved this movie. There was a moment close to the end where it could have veered off into a sentimental Hollywood ending but of course it didn't & was more moving because of it. I loved all the performances & was on the edge of my seat many times.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Yeah, with the govt probably searching every word we type and CCTV cameras everywhere....

As for the two movies you mentioned, sadly I have not seen them but I will look them up.

ann

harriet said...

Thanks! I rely on you for film recommendations and often go straight off to order them on my online rental service (which I am about to do now).

Uriah Robinson said...

I agree a brilliant film. The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indridason also gave a glimpse of what life was like in the GDR during those terrible years.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Loved Lives of Others, too. It was such a nuanced look at the subject. One of the movies that just knocks you over with its originality and brilliance.

Nan said...

Great review! I loved this movie, and wrote about it:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.
com/2007/05/spring-evening-at-movies.html

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks for these comments. I'm interested that the four of you who have seen the movie were also very keen on it. I have to admit that I'd never heard of it until recently, but it's a memorable piece of work.

Hannah Stoneham said...

Thanks for posting this excellent review. The Lives of Others is one of my favourite films - i think that it is so accomplished and the night we watched it we couldn't sleep for ages - just kept talking and talking about it.

Great post - thanks

Hannah