Thursday 30 September 2010

Forgotten Music - Jackie Deshannon


Jackie DeShannon is a very good songwriter, but perhaps even better as a singer, certainly in her heyday in the 60s and 70s, and my contribution today to Scott Parker’s series of Forgotten Music is a selection of obscure recordings Jackie made that deserve to be remembered.

Her most famous song is What the World Needs Now – definitely not forgotten! It was written by Bacharach and David, originally with Gene Pitney in mind, but Jackie’s version is definitive, especially since it featured in the closing scene of the movie Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice. This success prompted the songwriters to team up with DeShannon on a number of other records. For all her class, she wasn’t really Dionne Warwick, and none was a big hit, but I like, among others, Windows and Doors and Come and Get Me.

In the late 70s, with his career temporarily in the doldrums, Bacharach collaborated with Paul Anka on the soundtrack for a rather strange film called Together. The music is excellent, but again little known. I’m delighted that YouTube has come up with videos of Burt and Jackie performing two of the songs she sang for the film, Find Love and I Don’t Need You Any More. A bit of Jackie trivia from Wikipedia: she was apparently once Elvis Presley’s girlfriend.

9 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

Yep, she's a beut. Wasn't she Van Morrison's girlfriend too?

George said...

I love Jackie Deshannon. I just bought an import CD of her work (so great minds think alike). She's best known for "Bette Davis Eyes" but her early work with Bacharack is stunning.

Unknown said...

I'm with George. I love Jackie Deshannon. Saw her on SHINDIG often.

Martin Edwards said...

Paul, I don't know about Van, but she was, I'm sure, much sought after.
George, that's another fine song.
Bill, what is Shindig?

Evan Lewis said...

I remember her just fine from the 60s, but didn't know she was involved with "Bette Davis Eyes."

Unknown said...

SHINDIG was a U. S. pop music TV show in the '60s. Deshannon was on it often.

Eric Mayer said...

I always liked the Ramones covers of When You Walk Into the Room and Needles and Pins. In the latter, Joey does a great imitation of her recording of that song (I think I'm thinking of her recording) attaching that "aaaa" to everything. Needles and pins...aaaa....

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Evan, Bill and Eric.
I didn't know about those covers - The Searchers and Needles and Pins, I do know!

Kenny said...

Hey, be sure to check out Put A Little Love In Your Heart by her. Hand's down my favorite track by Jackie. Sorry such a late comment, but somehow I overlooked a post about singers.